Monday, June 3, 2013

2006 wasn't that long ago!


All of these graduations lately have me thinking of my own..... a whole 7 years ago! I was so excited to finally be done with school, and move on with what I was planning to do.....NURSING! I was tired of the structure, and the dang bell dictating my days. I was tired of trying to find a parking spot every morning and trying my best to not get sideswiped by a bus, or a car (which actually did happen eventually). Tired of making sure I had clothes for band and dinner theater everyday. I was even tired of some of the people. Luckily I wasnt one of those girls that was in a ton of drama....but I had my fair share. I was just done.....and tired!
What I didn't realize was the hardest part was yet to come. I wasn't one of those kids that made all A's...I made pretty much As and Bs (with a few Cs due to one particular, god awful, ridiculous teacher who shall not be named....but was later fired). But.....I didn't study a whole lot. You should have seen what happened when I did that in college!!! Lets just say it didn't work! I worked my but off in Human Anatomy....I studied ALL THE TIME!! I didn't go anywhere without flash cards and books! It was ridiculous!!! I was in the lab with my dead cat many nights when my friends were else where. It did not come easy for me.
All that stuff that I was so ready to get rid of in high school I would have done all over again, and again, and again!! As you can tell my 4 years in college were not very fun. I was so ready to be an adult and more independent and away from all the structure...but after I got away from it I craved it! In most college classes you are simply a number....you very rarely are known by your name, or have relationship with your professors (except in nursing school...different world....they were great!) They could care less if your late, if you did your work, if you wore your pajamas or a ball gown....no one cared. Some teachers would let you in late, some would shut the door in your face and not think twice (true story....saw it happen....not to me of course) It's just a different world you get thrusted into with out really any warning.
Even now as a married, 25 year old, with a career, and a mortgage and hopefully a growing family soon I still dont feel like an adult.  And the crazy thing is all those years I was wanting to grow up I didn't realize I had the entire rest of my life to be adult like!!
So, for my two favorite graduates Savannah and Justin (and let me just say I used to consider these two the "little" kids I would hang out with...not so little anymore. They are pretty much my equals now) live your life for the now! You are never going to be 18 again and you have a lot of adult years ahead. Decisions and problems are now going to be for you to take care of a figure out on your own with out the help of your parents to guide you or to do it for you.... and it stinks.  Eric and I are so proud of y'all! We know you both are going to do great things!!
Also, today is my sister's 22 birthday!!Happy Birthday Melissa! Hope you have a great day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment